|Hunger: Old torments and new blunders|
1. M.S. Swaminathan, ‘Bridging the Nutritional Divide: Building Community Centred Nutrition Security Systems’, The Little Magazine, this number.
2. On this see S.R. Osmani, ‘Hunger in South Asia: A Study in Contradiction,’ and Peter Svedberg, ‘Hunger in India: Facts and Challenges,’ both in this number of The Little Magazine. See also Svedberg’s Poverty and Undernutrition: Theory, Measurement and Policy (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 2000), to be published in India shortly by OUP.
3. Jean Drèze and I discuss the role of inadequacy of public discussion in the formulation and persistence of faulty public policy in our joint book, Drèze and Sen, India: Economic Development and Social Opportunity (1995), and in the follow-up monograph, India: Participation and Development (Delhi: OUP, forthcoming).
4. I have tried to discuss the basic issues in Poverty and Famines: An Essay on Entitlement and Deprivation (Oxford University Press, 1981).
5. Osmani, in this number. See also his ‘Poverty and Nutrition in South Asia,’ First Abraham Horowitz Lecture, United Nations ACC/SNN, mimeographed, 1997.
6. V. Ramalingaswami, U. Jonsson and J. Rohde, ‘The Asian Enigma’, The Progress of Nations 1996 (New York: UNICEF, 1996).
7. See particularly D.J.P. Barker, ‘Intrauterine Growth Retardation and Adult Disease’, Current Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 3 (1993); ‘Foetal Origins of Coronary Heart Disease’, British Medical Journal, 311 (1995); Mothers, Babies and Diseases in Later Life (London: Churchill Livingstone, 1998). See also N.S. Scrimshaw, ‘Nutrition and Health from Womb to Tomb’, Nutrition Today, 31 (1996).
8. The discussion that follows draws on my Nehru Lecture, ‘Class in India’, given on November 13, 2001; to be published.
9. M.S. Swaminathan, ‘Using the Food Mountain,’ The Hindu, November 10, 2001; see also the editorial (‘Resolving the Food Riddle’) of the same day.
Amartya Sen is Master, Trinity College, Cambridge, UK. His work on hunger, poverty,
social choice and entitlements earned him the Nobel Prize for Economics in 1998